Mozambique is a country devastated by 30 years of war (ending in 1992) followed by 3 years of the most serious draught of austral Africa and other inundations that have arguably caused more damage than the war itself. Since before the war ended, ASEM has served children in extreme poverty, victims of the HIV/AIDS, the orphaned and abandoned.
In the time since, ASEM has helped more than 20,000 children at the centers, with schooling, health care, shelter, psychological support, vocational training and more.
More than 700 children have been assisted in rejoining their families and getting reintegrated into their community.
Learn more about our projects
Currently, ASEM has over 1,800 direct beneficiaries and approximately 20,000 indirect beneficiaries annually.
See photos of the children!
ASEM Mozambique is an organization that works on behalf of orphaned and vulnerable children (OVC) in the areas of:
- Protection of civil rights
- General care
- Psychosocial support
- Vocational training
- Social rehabilitation
- Preschool education
- Management in education and strengthening the family ties within the community
- Reintegration into families and/or foster families
It is a non-profit organization long recognized by the government of Mozambique, with self-sustaining activities integrated into the project to ensure sustainability at the grassroots level.
ASEM exists for the protection and welfare of children in distress. Our beneficiaries come from different corners of the country, but the focus is in Sofala province, Beira, Vilanculos and districts. The children are provided with the care, shelter, educational support and professional training essential for successful social reintegration.
- To intervene in favor of children and protect their rights
- Education and professional training
- Self-sustainable activities
- Guaranteed promotion and psychosocial rehabilitation of children and their reintegration into direct families and/or foster families, community support, and established support to effectively provide basic services to address needs such as health and nutrition, education, birth registration, and the restoration of homes in deplorable conditions
- Ensure the social inclusion of vulnerable children through intervention, psychosocial and socioeconomic empowerment, with the active involvement of the local community.
- Training and education
ASEM is a registered charity in Canada, Switzerland, Italy and Mozambique. ASEM USA is in development.