BiographyBarbara Karoline Hofmann
was born on March 8th 1962 in Affoltern (Zurich), and studied Business and Finance in Switzerland. In 1989, working in banking and multinational businesses, by "chance", she found herself in Beira, Mozambique during wartime and after seeing the reality of that country, decided to devote her life to the children of Mozambique. These are the steps that made her known and respected in the world of international relief organizations. To many thousands of children in Mozambique, she is simply called “mama”.
Today, Barbara is supported by an amazing staff on the ground in Beira and Vilanculos which allows her to currently focus on:
- Operating Public Relations
- Supervising the financial management and general development of all ASEM's operations.
- Initiating micro-economic structures in Mozambique to assure ASEM's future economic self-sufficiency.
- Psychological support to children and young adults.
ASEM's Founder-President Barbara Hofmann has received several recognitions for her efforts with the children of Mozambique:
- The "Chevalier de l'Ordre National de Mérite" from the French President Jacques Chirac, 1997
- The "Aeschenkollegium" in Basel, Switzerland in 1997
- The "SCUDO d'ARGENTO" from the "Istituto Scudi di San Martino" in 2000
- The "Mimosa de Oro" from the Blue Drop Group in Palermo, Italy in 2002
- The "The Lady of the Year" by the International Centre for Peace between Nations of Assisi, Italy in 2003
- The "Rose of Sympathy" by the City Council of Rome, Italy in 2003
- An Honorary Citizenship by Mayor of Limena, Italy, 2003
- An Honorary Citizenship by Mayor of San Giorgio in Bosco, Italy, in December 2003
- The "First prize of the City of Ostia"- Ostia, Italy in June 2007 for her book "um dia sera poesia"
- "Ambassador for Peace" by the International Centre for Peace between Nations of Assisi, Italy in 2003